Browse Exhibits (23 total)
The Joy of Collecting: The Strishock Print Collection digital exhibit displays an eclectic mix of etchings, paintings, and wood block prints acquired through collecting clubs and subscription groups and purchased by Daniel and Joan Strishock. The Strishock's donated this collection to The Catholic University of American in 1968 and it features a variety of subjects, themes, and artists.
Come visit an exhibition highlighting a few of the prints from the Strishock Collection. The exhibition is titled "Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: Elements of Design". It is in Mullen Library at The Catholic University of America from September 3 - December 8, 2011.
The Catholic University of America is privileged to have a great many pieces of music written to celebrate the University and inspire its community in sports, social events, and ceremonial occasions. Most are original compositions by CUA students and faculty throughout the decades.
On this site, you can learn about this music, listen to recordings when available, and view scores, as well as learn about the people involved in the creation of the music. Please note: many of the pieces have not been recorded and are represented here by MIDI (computer realizations) rather than real instruments and voices.
A musical performance took place on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012, at 3:00p.m. at the Edward J. Pryzbyla Center Great Room on the campus of CUA. This revue, called "Songs of Old CUA," featured many of these songs performed by students from the School of Music. The event was free and open to the public. We hope to update this site with new recordings as they are available.
Paul D.H. Leman with the Flying Cardinals Marching Band, ca. 1933
The American Catholic History Center and University Archives celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Second Vatican Council with this special finding aid uniting all of our Vatican II collections. Here one may find a complete guide to our manuscript and AV holdings to expedite resource discovery.
Since the founding of The Catholic University of America (CUA) the study of Scripture has been one of its foremost disciplines. Throughout its history CUA has worked alongside other organizations, like the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and the Catholic Biblical Association to create a uniquely Catholic scholarly community. This online exhibit draws on the materials housed in the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives to document the history of Biblical studies in America.
In 1891, Rev. Eli Washington John Lindesmith wrote the Rector of The Catholic University of America, Rev. John J. Keane, to inquire about donating his possessions to the University’s museum. Rev. Lindesmith, over the next thirty-one years, shipped his numerous papers, artifacts, and memoriabilia collected from his days as a missionary priest in Ohio, as a military chaplain in Montana, and as chaplain at St. Ann’s Orphan Asylum in Cleveland, Ohio, to the University. Lindesmith collected and maintained these items because he was confident that future people would be curious.
Lindesmith was born in Center Township, Columbianna County, Ohio, on September 27, 1827. He became a priest in 1855 and spent the first part of his priesthood assigned to travelling from parish to parish in the northeastern part of Ohio. His duties took him from the towns around Youngstown to the Akron-Canton area south of Cleveland. In 1880, Rev. Lindesmith became a military chaplain assigned to Fort Keogh, Montana. He remained at this post until 1891, when he returned to mission work in Northern Ohio. His last position was chaplain of St. Ann’s Orphan Asylum. He died on February 6, 1922.
Between July and October 2008, Catholic University presented an exhibit titled “Together in Faith: The Pope Visits Catholic University” which focuses on the April 17 visit that year of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI to our campus. The physical exhibit traveled to our Columbus School of Law, Mullen Library, McMahon Hall, and the Edward J. Pryzbyla University Center. Here, we have created an online exhibit offering a virtual version of the physical.
There is no way to over-emphasize the importance of St. Thomas Aquinas in the development of Christian thought and his influence on higher education. The patron of Catholic schools, St. Thomas holds a special place in the hearts of members of The Catholic University of America. We honor him during our annual St. Thomas Aquinas Mass in January, to reaffirm our commitment to faithful Catholic education, and in the depictions of him throughout our campus - a bust in Mullen Library, a statue and stained glass window in Caldwell Chapel, and another stained glass window in the St. Michael Chapel. The building which hosts the University Archives is named after St. Thomas. It is clear that a great deal of emphasis is placed on St. Thomas and his works, not only here at The Catholic University of America, but at universities and centers of learning around the world. A special privilege that we have as Special Collections is that we house many rare books related to the works of St. Thomas Aquinas. It is truly a gift that we, The Catholic University of America, are stewards of such wonderful items. In order to showcase just a few of our items, this exhibit has been curated to offer examples of what we hold. This is in no way an exhaustive list of what our collection contains in regards to St. Thomas Aquinas, but this exhibit is an introduction to the resources that we have on the Angelic Doctor, and a starting point for students and scholars who would like to know more about our collections.
This digital collection consists of images of structures that once stood on the grounds of The Catholic University of America (CUA). Supporting text from a variety of sources provides facts, figures and first hand accounts that place the structures in their historical context. Important people in the history of these buildings are also introduced.
The images in the collection are accessible in one of four ways which include, building name, person name, map of campus, and the sitemap. Please click one of the links in the navigation bar to explore the collection. This bar is available on each page of the collection.
Please note that the images on this site are copyright protected. If you wish to obtain permission to reproduce any of them please contact the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives at (202) 319-5065 or by visiting their website.
Papers and photographs documenting the life of labor organizer Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (1843?-1930), drawn from the Mother Jones, Terence Powderly and John Mitchell collections of The Catholic University of America Archives.
She was the "Miners Angel;" she was the "most dangerous woman in America." She was an "impious Joan of Arc;" she was a "secular nun."
Mary Harris was born in County Cork in Ireland, probably in 1836. She came to Toronto in the early 1840's, attended public school and normal school, and in the early years of her adult life taught in Catholic schools in Monroe, Michigan and Memphis, Tennessee. In Memphis she married George Jones, and official of the Moulders' Union, but George and their children perished a few years later in a Yellow Fever epidemic. Sometime in the 1870s she drifted into organizing and radical politics and over the next sixty years she seemed to find her way to every dramatic event in the history of the radical politics and labor in America.
Her work in behalf of the miners was the central effort of her career and would win her the most fame. One of her first great triumphs was in the coalfields of West Virginia organizing miners during the great anthracite coal strike of 1902. ?Many of her letters reveal the drama, danger and heartache of those [industrial war] battles.
----From the Library of Congress/Ameritech National Digital Library proposal, written by Timothy J. Meagher
T. V. Powderly Photograph Collection.