Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: Walking Tour

MullenLibraryConstruction_nd resize.JPG
In 1901 CUA’s second Rector, Thomas Conaty, was well aware that the University needed a separate library building. Construction of the library would not start until the 1920’s, with the first phase being completed in 1928. All phases of the…

This shows the crypt before its completion, with mechanical engineering students working.

Cardinal Gibbons blessed the foundation stone of the Shrine on September 23, 1920 with over 10,000 people gathered to watch. However, after completion of the Crypt Church in 1926, construction halted until 1953 due to the Great Depression and World…

An undergraduate dorm room from Albert Hall, formerly known as Keane Hall, which was demolished in 1970.

Having been founded as an institute for graduate study and research, the University did not admit undergraduates until 1904. This brought new challenges and opportunities for the University, including the need for athletics and space. The students in…

Next to Curly Court you will see what remains of the Astronomical Observatory. The observatory was built in 1890 and it stood as the highest point on campus when it was built. Its dome was 15 feet in diameter, and it was equipped with a telescope…

caldwell hall chapel interior.jpg
This is an interior view of the chapel in Caldwell Hall.

Caldwell Hall looking west.jpg
This shows a different perspective of the exterior of Caldwell Hall. The exterior of the chapel is also visible.

Caldwell Hall exterior looking southeast.jpg
The first building to be erected as part of the CUA campus was Caldwell Hall. On May 24, 1888 the cornerstone was laid for this building, known then as Divinity Hall. The building was completed in 1889, and would eventually house scholars such as Fr.…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2