The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Cardinal Gibbons (1834-1921) at the foundation stone laying ceremony for the National Shrine on September 23, 1920.
Post card containing membership application to the Salve Regina — the primary fundraising organization for the National Shrine, led by Thomas J. Shahan and Bernard A. McKenna.
The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, to be erected at the Catholic University, Washington, D.C.
Postcard depicting an early Gothic design of the National Shrine. The plaster model was designed by F. Burrall Hoffman, (Francis Burrall), 1882-1980.
View of Caldwell Hall, the University's first new construction. When the University first opened, the campus community patronized the chapel in Caldwell, pictured on the right-hand side of this photograph.
The photograph has been labelled to indicate which buildings were erected during Shahan's rectorship. However, the Salve Regina office building erected in 1920 is out of the frame. Note that the crypt level of the National Shrine is incomplete.
The Salve Regina Office, which now houses the Art Department, was originally built to accommodate the fundraising activities of the National Shrine.
Center spread of September 23 1920 program
The small article published in the June 1919 issue of Salve Regina announcing that an architect for the National Shrine had been chosen.
McKenna and Shahan, center, posing in front of the foundation stone, which is on the back of the Sexton & Sons truck. James Sexton was the donor of the stone.
Unidentified laborer posing with the foundation stone in situ, during the construction of the crypt church. Note that the date inscribed in Latin on the stone follows the Roman calendar; it reads “eight days prior to the first of October,” which…